A reminder that the umpires contact details are available to all club reps in the PlayerReg system. In the current unsettled weather the umpires will always appreciate an early call to prevent unnecessary travelling!
Western District Cricket Union
Welcome to the Western District Cricket Union website. The Union organises and promotes cricket to half the population of Scotland, from Dumfries & Galloway in the south-west, up the west coast, and across the central belt to the Forth Valley. We co-ordinate with the West District Junior Cricket Union, local authorities and Cricket Scotland to encourage youth development and provide a structured developmental pathway to ensure the game flourishes and grows at all levels. From the Premier Division to the Greenwood Trophy, the Union provides competitions for all its member clubs, from 50-over Saturday cricket to competitive T20 competitions.
Latest news and notices
- Umpires contact details (13th June 2017)
- Reminder: Scotland Lord’s Taverners Lunch with Henry Blofeld, 15 September 2017 (13th June 2017)
Scotland Lord’s Taverners are, in conjunction with Cricket Scotland and WDCU, hosting a Lunch with Henry Blofeld at Hampden Park on 15 September 2017. Please could it be circulated amongst your membership as I am sure that it will be of interest to many.
For more information and to book then please contact Jan McKenzie at email@example.com or call her on 07875 967312
- Short match returns (13th June 2017)
When entering a short match return please remember to do a SUMMARY SAVE.
If you do a SUMMARY SAVE and then later return to it and do a SAVE then the status will be set to SAVED. This will NOT appear on the WDCU website Results page. You must either complete the return and SUBMIT or do another SUMMARY SAVE.
- Community Engagement Coordinator – Glasgow (2nd June 2017)
Cricket Scotland are advertising for the position of Community Engagement Coordinator, an exciting and innovative role working for a progressive SGB looking to broaden its reach and impact across all communities in Glasgow.
This new and exciting role seeks an energetic and experienced individual who can deliver across a wide range of key priorities and objectives. The ideal candidate will be a champion for diversity in sport and be able to build partnerships across a wide range of stakeholders. They need to have an understanding of sports development and ideally cricket pathways that will allow them to facilitate integration at all levels.
Closing date for the post is Wednesday 14 June 2017 with interviews planned to take place on Monday 19 June 2017.
More details can be found on CS website by clicking here
- Brian Reid – funeral details (24th May 2017)
There will be a service for Brian Reid at the Dawson Mission, 693, Carron Road, Falkirk, Stirlingshire, FK2 7SR. (near the old Carron Works site) on Friday 26 May at 11:15am. Due to the current refurbishment of the crematorium however, there will be no public access to the internment.
Brian’s widow Corinne has invited anyone who so wishes to wear a baseball cap in Brian’s memory.
- Brian Reid (15th May 2017)
It is with great sadness that the WDCU has learned of the sudden death over the weekend of WoSACO umpire Brian Reid. Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this time
- An evening with Sir Garfield Sobers (12th May 2017)
West Indies cricket legend Sir Garfield Sobers is coming to Scotland next month and will be holding a free presentation night and “Q & A” session at The High School of Glasgow, 637 Crow Road, Glasgow, G13 1PL, on Tuesday the 6th of June 2017, starting at 7pm.
Spaces are limited and will be offered on a first come first served basis. To secure your place please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reminder: Complying with WDCU Rules & Playing Conditions (11th May 2017)
Analysis of the first two weeks of Umpires Reports highlights there are areas of the League Administration Rules and Playing Conditions that the WDCU CMC feel clubs need to reminded of:
- League Administration Rule Appendix 1.b.vi The pitch shall be swept and remarked (and rolled if requested) during the interval between innings. There have been too many instances already of home clubs failing to action this requirement.
- Saturday league Playing Conditions: Appendix 7 (at the end of the 1st Innings) The D/L operator will enter this information into the software, produce 4 copies of the over-by-over printout and distribute one copy each to the Home Captain, the Visiting Captain, the Scorers and the Umpires. Again there are far too many Umpires reporting back the failure to do this. The CMC would recommend ALL clubs familiarising themselves with Appendix 7 and their obligations within that Appendix.
- League Administration Rule 14.e This fee should be paid to the Umpires at the tea interval, if not before. Can all clubs please ensure that they follow this rule as it is not happening in all cases.
Please note that these are not all of the areas where clubs are failing to comply, just some of the more common ones. The WDCU CMC also note that clubs should familiarise themselves with all rules & conditions of the respective competitions and that they are obliged to comply with these rules in ALL aspects applicable to that club. Failure to address or achieve these conditions may result in sanctions being applied.
The League Administration Rules and the Playing Conditions are available on the WDCU website in the Document Centre (http://wdcu.co.uk/document-centre/)
- TR ‘Big Ron’ Irvine (7th May 2017)
It is with great sadness that the WDCU has learned of the sudden death on Thursday 4th May of Ron Irvine.
Big Ron, as he was known to everyone, was a larger than life character who played for Greenock CC 1st XI during the period from 1955 to 1974, captaining the team in 1967 and 1968. During his 1st XI career, he scored 1,736 as a hard-hitting lower-order batsman, and captured 203 wickets, bowling at a fast-medium pace from quite a height. In recent years, he had taken up umpiring and enjoyed several years on duty round the grounds of the west of Scotland before ill-health forced him to give this up.
We send our deepest condolences to his widow, Doris, and the rest of his family.
- Sandy Strang – Funeral Details (5th May 2017)
Details of Sandy Strang’s funeral are now available.
Sandy’s funeral is a private funeral, but a memorial service will be held at Sherbrooke St Gilberts Church, Nithsdale Road at 12.45pm on Wednesday 10th May which anyone wishing to attend may do so.